Saturday, July 19, 2014

Poland, Chapter 2: A Tale of Two Chojniks, Or: The One With All the Hills


After experiencing the wonders of Wrocław, it was time to head out to Hotel Chojnik and the Angloville program for the week. I'm not going to talk about the program except to say if you're an English speaking and you find yourself in Poland with a week to kill it is an excellent use of your time. It's very easy for the native speaker group since all you're doing is having conversations most of the day, plus room and board are paid for and if you luck out and get the location I got in the Karkonosze Mountains, it's beautiful and peaceful. I also lucked out with my group; a very fun and friendly agglomeration of people from all walks of life who were (mostly) happy to be there and really excited to either improve their English or help others do so. 

Also, the food was super good. /End Advertisement

The view from the balcony I shared with two other native speakers. We got a big suite style room. It was the poshest accommodations I've had while traveling since I was forced to stay at a hotel in Gent, Belgium.






The adorable little balcony above ours, begging for a re-enactment of some Romeo and Juliet scenes.
  
Driveway/patio. As you do.


The hotel had rabbits which was obviously one of my favorite features.

Chojnik needs some Angloville help. Also, the bar is open until noon??


From behind the hotel, there was a moat (?)/island, a tennis court, and some nice walking trails.


On a walk on a beautiful afternoon with one of my Polish conversation partners, Tomasz.


I am not sure why I was commanded to do this. I think the idea was that my parents should buy this house, and this photo was going to convince them to do so?

Maybe my favorite picture from the week. So peaceful.

On the second day, we had a beautiful afternoon so our organizers decided we would take a walk over to the nearby Chojnik Castle. It was fantastic. 











On the last day all of the Polish participants gave presentations they had been working on throughout the week. Each of us English speakers were assigned to one of the Polish speakers to act as kind of a mentor. My mentee, Natalia, really did not need any help since her English and her presentation skills are very good. She talked about her town, Wolsztyn, which she honestly made sound like a little Polish Stars Hollow (aka Paradise).


Then because the Polish were so excited about being finished their presentations and it being the last night we'd all have to spend together (most of my nights ended up in the hotel restaurant, having some beers, watching the World Cup and talking), they decided to drive into the nearby town and pick up some vodka and other libations.

I knew it was gonna be a long one when the afternoon began with Earl Grey and vodka cocktails, as you can see Iwonna preparing here.

The night ended with all sorts of peculiar trials and tribulations and my iPod lost (later recovered, thank God!), but I will just say: we had a bonfire/barbecue as our last dinner and at one point in the evening, it turned into a "game" of "Jump over the fire". I was not able to do this successfully. Lastly, the next morning when my iPod was recovered I found that I had taken about 50 photos and they were all identical to this one. I guess I just really wanted to capture the splendor of the Chojnik Hotel lobby by night. What can I say? I'm an artiste.

No comments:

Post a Comment