Sunday, July 2, 2017

Watched: Elvis & Nixon

This movie was both more and less than I expected. It's a cute indie and although I was skeptical of the casting of Michael Shannon as Elvis, despite knowing that he's a great actor it still seemed like a stretch, I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Great supporting performances from Colin Hanks and Evan Peters as Nixon's young advisors who see the advantage of making the photo-op of Elvis and Nixon meeting happen. Spacey gets the voice of Nixon and body language just right (and looks slightly more like him than Anthony Hopkins) but still somehow seems like an odd casting choice. Overall I was surprised how well both actor worked in the titular roles although I probably shouldn't have been. Alex Pettyfer continues to be a thing that Hollywood is trying to make happen. Why? Anyway the director is Liza Johnson, and although I didn't love all her choices (stereotypical 60's violence/hippie montages) the film industry needs more female directors so I'll be keeping an eye on whatever she does next.













No comments:

Post a Comment